Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Nana's Garden

Here are two pages of my cousins, Marilyn and Dianne. Since they lived in California and I in Washington we grew up in different times and knew our Grandma (Nana) through different eyes. I found these pictures in ones from Grandma's albums but all I knew was who they were and the dates they were taken. I emailed my cousins asking what they remembered, if anything, at this time. Since Marilyn was only two when they were taken I wasn't surprised when she didn't remember but Dianne was six and her recollections were vivid. It was such a treasure to receive the email back with the journaling I shared on the second page. Wonderful memories of a lady we both loved so much and in such different times and surroundings.

This is Nana Coulter's garden on Virginia Street. I loved that house and garden and because I didn't want to lose the memory I have made a floor-plan and landscape drawings of it. So many wonderful memories. The photos are from Spring of 1938. Marilyn was a darling, auburn, curly haired little girl. She would have been about two years old, I am probably six. I do not know what happened to the garden chair. Nana had several (all painted dark green) One area (or garden rooms) had huge green hedges with lovely flower gardens in front of those. One side bordered a fantastic wooden arbor that divided the gardens down the middle of the property. It was always so green and cool, covered with vines and roses. The area with the chairs was shaded with trees from which your Father, Uncle Bill and Grandpa Coulter had hammocks. After Sunday dinner, they would "retire" to have their afternoon naps! This is where the photos are taken. I spent hours in that garden - I guess that's where my love of gardening started. As written by Dianne Steed

It was even more of a treat when I called and read what Dianne had shared with my Mom. Her comments made me smile. She went on to tell me about Grandma's house on Virgina Street and was surprised no one mentioned the fish pond Grandpa had made in the front yard. And the arbor Dianne speaks about, oh yes, did I know their wedding picture was taken under that arbor in Grandma's yard. No but I do now. More stories, more pages. Someday generations I have yet to meet, or will never meet, will look at my pages and get a feel for family long ago. What a wonder part of me to pass on. If you're just thinking about doing digital scrapbooking or journaling there is no better time than the present. It's a wonderful way to pass a part of you forward. And it's a wonderful way to let 'a little of the inside out'. Enjoy!

Both these pages were created using Lori Giles Pink Ladies Kit. I've tooted Lori's work over and over and I will continue to do so. Her things are so beautiful and this kit was so perfect for my Heritage pages. I hope you'll check her designs out at Digital Scrapn.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Wow, Lady! Those are some AMAZING...truly amazing layouts...I just love them.